Friday, March 19, 2010


Despite Amy making faces at me when I said I was going to fire the Rhino even though it kinda blew apart during bisque I smoke fired it. It turned out okay, obviously it would be better if it wasn't broken and if it was burnished (which I didn't do because it was going to be wood fired). From this angle you cant tell it broke anyway. I'm glad I fired it. I also fired the fish but you all can see it in class.

I have 2 bottle spikes ready to be bisqued, 2 leather hard, and 1 still just slabs. Hopefully Amy will give us some work time so I can assemble the one that is just slabs before it gets too hard. I also cut one of the ones that is leather hard out so now it has a sound hole (which might be too big), peg holes, and a string attachment point. On the next one I might try a different string mounting method.

4 comments:

  1. I like the rhino, too bad about the blow out. I read through your blog, you are achieving some nice smoke fired pieces with your tube kiln. Is the metal a culvert? I am very interested in trying this type of firing. I just moved to Florida and was thinking about my previous barrel firings and the rain getting in but a tube would solve that problem when it is raining. What a great idea, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a defined focus to your work that emanates throughout all of your pieces. Even this rhino, the most realistic sculpture you've made, fits nicely into your concentration. You really know how to execute your ideas.
    By the way, you can't even tell that its stomach is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Linda

    The tube is just a galvinized steel chimney, be careful the first couple times you fire it because it can relase toxic fumes. Living in Oregon I have fired several times in pretty heavy rain without a problem. If you have any questions feel free to email me at rsilberbach (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you decided to fire the rhino, I really like it. Can you still use it in your portfolio even though it's broken? You could take pictures to make it look like it isn't broken, but is that considered cheating, or something?

    ReplyDelete