Wednesday, February 24, 2010



Above is the piece I just finished for the upcoming wood fring, it took me 3 class periods to do it and I'm not sure if I like how it turned out. There is a good chance it will break during bisque firing because I was not able to let it dry properly due to time constraints. If it doesn't break in bisque there is an even larger chance of it breaking in the wood kiln because I would like to have it placed in the firebox so it get a really crusty raw finish on it. The problem with putting work in the firebox is the heat is less even than in the rest of the kiln and people throw logs in it. Unlike a real rhino my piece would not survive getting hit by a log. I'm not sure if I like how it turned out, it is more realistic than I usually do and the strength in most my pieces really comes from their abstract forms. We'll see how it turns out... Hopefully in one piece.

3 comments:

  1. haha "unlike a real rhino my piece would not survive getting hit by a log..." I think you're right but I think it would be worth the risk because if it turns out in one piece it will be really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is cool and i hope that it doesn't break like you are thinking that it may. This could also look cool being smoke fired if you decide not to put it in the wood kiln.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is cool and i hope that it doesn't break like you are thinking that it may. This could also look cool being smoke fired if you decide not to put it in the wood kiln.
    P.S. i accidently commented on this post while you were logged on to the computer so it looks like you commented but it was really me (the post above this one)

    ReplyDelete